[USML Announce] Andy's Proposal

Richard E. Robbins RERobbins at itinker.net
Wed Feb 4 15:29:28 EST 2004

On February 4, 2004, Andrew R. Klein wrote:

> Mark, coming from me, you know it's a compliment!
>
> Anyway, I've been talking to Jim about replacing my proposal with a simpler
> suggestion that would simply exclude players purchased with FAAB $$ from
> being considered asterisk players for the rest of the season in which they
> are purchased.  Do others have thoughts about that?
>
> -Andy

I prefer either proposal that's on the table to this one.

First, I am concerned that this proposal introduces an additional administrative hassle for the league secretary.  I suppose if we have a special contract status marker for these guys that wouldn't be too bad.  I'm not sure if TQ Stats makes this kind of thing easy or not.

Second, I think that this could have unintended consequences.  By eliminating FAAB players from being considered asterisk players you have also eliminated a trade from being declared an imbalanced trade when one of these players is included.  If a productive veteran is traded into the AL and acquired for a lot of money, your rule would let that player be included from a trade without tripping our rules.  I know that you are worried about turning worthless players into asterisk players to game the system, but you need to also consider what happens when you turn a valuable player that would normally be considered an asterisk player into a non-asterisk player.