[USML Announce] Andy's Proposal

SpringKerb at aol.com SpringKerb at aol.com
Wed Feb 4 21:34:52 EST 2004

In a message dated 2/4/2004 2:08:48 PM Central Standard Time,
anrklein at yahoo.com writes:
Anyway, I've been talking to Jim about replacing my proposal with a simpler
suggestion that would simply exclude players purchased with FAAB $$ from
being considered asterisk players for the rest of the season in which they
are purchased.  Do others have thoughts about that?
Although Andy has inexplicably withdrawn his new proposal, the simplicity of
that solution is really attractive, plus it avoids any need to adjust our
floor/cap system to reflect the reduced impact of FAAB dollars.

If I recall correctly, part of the reason for an asymmetric floor/cap system
(i.e., cap at 360, or 260 + 100, versus floor at 200, or 260-60) was the
assumed upward bias introduced by FAAB funny money, which would push total salaries
higher over the season.  If we simply say that FAAB players don't get an
asterisk, the egregious abuses of the past are remedied without doing anything
more complex.

I'm not at all worried about the fact that FAAB purchases would then be free
of asterisk status.  The number of FAAB players actually deserving an asterisk
each year is tiny, and they are available only for a fraction of a season.
It's not a real problem at all.  On balance, I think it's probably the best
solution.