[USML Announce] New Rule Proposal

Richard E. Robbins RERobbins at iTinker.net
Sat Feb 7 11:09:51 EST 2004

Oh how I love the language of a litigator. . .

Simpler?  Only if you mean fewer word changes to the Constitution.  We
already have many constraints and limits that must be checked when trades
are made, this adds one more.  Someone will make an honest mistake on this
one and it might not get caught for a bit and then we will need to untangle
things.  I wouldn't object if there wasn't an attractive alternative.

"Open market price" -- let's see, in the auction, after bidding has
concluded for a player, do we ask the high bidder how much further he was
willing to go and then charge that amount?  When you buy something in a
store, do you pay more than the advertised price because you were willing to
do so?  Face it, our historic FAAB process does not in any way, shape or
form result in "market" prices being paid.  It results in inflated prices
being paid.  If you are the only person interested in a player, I'd say that
nobody else attributes value to the player and that his price should be the
minimum price.

Face it, Mark, what you really mean to say is that you dislike the fact that
people may pay less money for FAAB players using the eBay style process,
which means that there is a possibility that someone will create a keeper
through this process.  You want a process that encourages high FAAB salaries
to avoid this.  Unfortunately, that creates tension with our limits on
imbalanced trades.  You'd rather have an imbalanced trade go through than
allow for the remote possibility that someone ends up with a keeper because
only one team had interest in some scrub player.

A majority of the league may agree with you that it's better to maintain a
system that tends to inflate salaries of FAAB players, even if it allows
what would otherwise have been a trade that we outlawed as part of our rule
changes last year and even though there is a simpler alternative that
creates no administrative overhead, is neutral as to the cap and the floor
and actually results in something closer to market prices for FAAB players.

-- Rich

  _____