[USML Announce] League update

Jim Barrett chicagojab at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 21 12:46:55 EST 2004

Blocker,

If you are actually concerned about genuine local phone competion you should start representing companies that actually install their own facilities, hire technicians to help maintain the network infrastructure, and serve all customers instead of cherry-picking only the high margin ones.

MBBlocker at aol.com wrote:
Gang:

  A few items of news.  First, please welcome John Gallo and Family to the league.  Here is some general background on our new member.  John is one of our partners at Sidley and before that was an assistant US Attorney here in Chicago for many years (if you were a fan of Operation Silver Shovel, John's the one to thank).  Even if you do not consider those things negative qualities, you will surely find John's educational background objectionable -- he's a out-of-the-closet Domer.  Thats right, Notre Dame undergrad, followed by a stint at the almost equally reviled Harvard Law School.  As for really important stuff, John is a roto veteran, but mostly on the NL side.  My understanding is that John and his son are both AL guys, so they are really looking forward to being able to draft Ozzie Guillen's southside charges.  John's yet-to-be-named team will be co-managed by John and his 16 year old son (and his friend also, I believe), meaning that someone will now be part of the league who
 was just born when our league started in 1989.

  On the rules front, I think all the main rule voting issues have been resolved.  My recollection is that Jeff W was floating a proposal about something, but it remains unresolved.  If that does not get resolved soon, we will leave it to next year.

  Finally, we still do not have a resolution of the special slotting and positioning rules that will apply for this year's draft.  I would appreciate it if others could take the lead in securing a consensus on those issues because I will be buried at work over the next few weeks, trying to keep the Midwest safe for local phone competition.  The logical candidate to lead the rules discussion is Kerber and/or Barrett, because if we cannot keep them occupied with such matters, they will continue to spend most of their time trying to snuff out the flickering candle of local phone competition.

  But I disgress.  Lets try and put those remaining issues to rest so we can all draft in harmony on March 12.