[USML Announce] Roto Rules

Doug Shabelman DougS at BurnsSports.com
Tue Feb 24 10:40:14 EST 2004

I agree with Rich on having more players available than not. If you choose
to take that prospect and have his contract start running, that's part of
the risk.

I like it and also Kerber's proposal.

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard E. Robbins [mailto:RERobbins at itinker.net]
Sent: Tuesday, February 24, 2004 9:38 AM
To: announce at usml.net
Subject: Re: [USML Announce] Roto Rules

I agree completely with Andy's comment regarding drafting before opening
day.

I really hope that this year will be the exception and not become the rule.

As Andy suggests, certainty about eligibility before the draft matters.  Is
there a definitive list posted on the web that we can rely on?  I have no
idea as to when first cuts will be made.

If we adopt the more restrictive rule, we will still have a hard time
knowing exactly who is a major league rookie.  I've never seen a source that
lists days of service post September 1.  We can always look up information
for a single player when we need to, however, doing so for a large
collection of players in advance of our draft strikes me as a daunting task.
If anyone has a simple way to collect that information then please volunteer
to do so on behalf of the league.

In addition to the position scarcity point, I suggest that each of us
consider an additional facet of the alternatives presented.  Under Kerber's
proposal, highly touted players that are expected to be on a major league
roster on opening day would be available in the auction (Joe Mauer, Bobby
Crosby etc.).  If we adopt the more restrictive approach, those players
would not be eligibile for bidding and could only be acquired in the
rotation draft.  How you feel about that may depend on where you will pick
in the rotation draft.  On the other hand, Kerber's proposal will expose a
bunch of players to the auction draft and people could grab a prospect who
would normally only be available in the rotation draft.  The price for that
will be a running contract though -- which diminishes somewhat the value of
taking a player that is more than a year or so away.  I think I'd rather
have too many players eligible for the auction rather than too few.

I will stand with Mark Kerber in supporting his original proposal.

We need to resolve the matter and move on.

Gentlemen, please make up your mind and express a view.

-- Rich