[USML Announce] USML 2004 - Let the Games Begin

JHWinick at aol.com JHWinick at aol.com
Sat Jan 17 14:12:18 EST 2004

In a message dated 1/17/2004 12:41:32 PM Central Standard Time,
chicagojab at yahoo.com writes:
If there are problems with the first two weekends after the season begins,
why not consider the weekend before the season begins?  I know final ML rosters
won't be totally set but most fantasy leagues out there do conduct the draft
prior to the season beginning (in some cases weeks or months in advance).

If we do have an April draft then April 3 is better for me.  One other caveat
the affects both Kerber and myself - is that it's a union negotiation year at
SBC. The labor contract expires March 31st.  If the union goes on strike all
management employees will be required to assume extra duties during the strike
(including possibly working on the weekend).
Unfortunately, I have a few conflicts.  Fortunately, none of them concern the
3rd of April.  I'll be drafting in other leagues on the weekend of the
20/21st of March, but I don't expect that will be a conflict.  I am out of town on
Saturday the 27th and don't get back until about 10:00 a.m. on the 28th, so I
couldn't draft on Saturday and not until the afternoon on Sunday of that
weekend.  But I have no problem with say a 1:00 draft on Sunday the 28th.  I agree,
by the way, that there's nothing wrong with a preseason draft.  The only
caveat, of course, is that we will need to plan ahead.  Prior experience suggests
that we will have to establish some hard and fast rules with regard to position
eligibility.

As for league membership, my recollection is that the vote was in favor of
expanding by up to three teams.  Apparently, one of our candidates has
withdrawn.  As far as I know, the other two remain interested.  I propose that we
extend formal invitations to the two remaining candidates and give them a short
window to consider our offer (say....a week).

On a far more important note, how about we get the hot stove going?  I've got
a surplus of high salary/high value players that could surely be the basis
for a mutually beneficial transaction.  Guys like Tejada (25), AROD (41), Manny
Ramirez (39), Tim Hudson (33) and Mariano Rivera (27) are available.
Considering that all of these players (with the exception of Tejada) went for these
prices last year, heaven only knows what they would cost after excellent seasons
in a league with great retention rosters and two more teams!?!?!?!  Somebody
has got to be interested in locking in a little value.  Brad and Mike would
want us to move on without them - what better way to get things started than a
good Berliners trade??