[USML Announce] Buddha

Doug Shabelman DougS at BurnsSports.com
Fri Jan 23 16:27:23 EST 2004

Oh, how wrong you are, Jim.  With luck like that, you're always welcome at
my place for any Packers "party." Anytime you want to join me, I'll have
your seat right in front of the tv with unlimited beer and Chicago-style
pizza at your disposal.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Barrett [mailto:chicagojab at yahoo.com]
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2004 2:48 PM
To: USML Announcements
Subject: RE: [USML Announce] Buddha

I'm a life-long Miami Dolphins fan (despite never living even close to
Florida) and can verify that I was physically ill the day that the Dolphins
hired Wannstedt.  However, I always root for the Bears against the Packers.
Needless to say that's not too popular up here in Wisconsin (I relocated
from Chicago to Milwaukee this fall).  I attended a "Packers party" where we
watched the playoff game against the Eagles.  Just before Favre took the
fateful snap, I said it's about time for Brett to throw an interception.  He
promtly does so and everyone in the room glares at me as if it were my
fault.  I don't think I'm getting invited to another Packers party.

"Blocker, Mark B." <mblocker at Sidley.com> wrote:

Buddha (and others):

  Buddha, welcome to the league.  I will try to provide a more exhaustive
guide to our league membership, but since you have indicated (through
Fruiter) that pro football affiliation is important (as it should be), I
will provide that information for you now.  First, I am a huge, life-long
Packer fan, having grown up in Appleton, 30 miles from Lambeau.  This year I
finally acquired season tickets (through E-bay, not through the list) and
went to all of the gold package home games.  My priorities are simple:  I
would rather have the Pack win one more Super Bowl than win our roto league
even once (and as I'm sure others will point out, there is little chance of
that).  My oldest son Ezra, who will be 10 in a few days, is an even bigger
fan than me (and number 17,463 on the season ticket waiting list), so you
know I am raising them right.

  Second, beware: our league is filled with downtrodden Bears fans.  By my
count, at least the following owners:

1. Klein
2. Winick
3. Shabelman
4. Kerber
5. Robbins (season ticket holder)

I don't know about Gammons who grew up in Indy or Barrett (Calamari), but as
you can see, this is almost an epidemic in our league.  These sorts of
affiliations should be considered carefully when dealing with league
members.

  Our league members worry about all this, so they have for years been
planting false rumors that I am not willing to trade my players.  This is
false.  The Bombers are always open to trades and working the phones,
especially with fellow Packer fans.  Don't believe what you will hear, and
remember: consider the source.

  Anyway, welcome aboard.  Our league has now been going for 16 years
(Winick and I are the only charter members left), but it has always needed
more Packer fans.

  -- Mark Blocker (Commissioner, and owner of the Block's Bombers)