[USML Announce]

Richard E. Robbins RERobbins at iTinker.net
Sun Jan 25 20:39:36 EST 2004

Mark,

I've got my heart set on having you stop by to handle some long overdue
repairs we need on our phones.  C'mon.

-- Rich

  _____

From: announce-bounces at usml.net [mailto:announce-bounces at usml.net] On Behalf
Of SpringKerb at aol.com
Sent: Sunday, January 25, 2004 7:01 PM
To: announce at usml.net
Subject: Re: [USML Announce]

In a message dated 1/25/2004 1:43:12 PM Central Standard Time,
anrklein at yahoo.com writes:

I'm not keen on the early draft date.

Andy:

At the risk of repeating myself (and Jim), SBC may have a strike, which
would begin April 1 if it happens.  In that case, Jim and I will be working
strike duty, which would mean working at some job appropriate to our skills
(customer service rep, in my case, since I'd be useless at repair and
installation) in addition to our regular jobs.  In other words, if there's a
strike, Jim and I will not be attending a draft until the strike is over.
Historically, most telecom strikes have ended within a few weeks, but there
have been one or two that have gone on for months.

Of course, most contracts get done without strikes.  Therefore, at one
point, I sent an e-mail saying we could just go ahead and schedule for the
first weekend in April, take our chances on a strike, and reschedule if
necessary.  However, one of the folks who travels for the draft pointed out,
reasonably enough, that it would not necessarily be easy to reschedule his
travel plans at the last minute.

Hence, the proposals for an early draft date.

Mark

P.S.  It's not a big deal.  We'd need to figure out what to do with two
categories of players.  First, rookie-eligibles--I'd propose making them all
eligible to be placed on the reserve roster, even if we think they'll be in
the majors (which you always wanted to do anyway).  Second, veterans signed
to minor league contracts--I'd propose making them draft-eligible, since it
seems silly to have a whole bunch of them sitting on the shelf waiting for
the reserve rounds.  (Of course, since I choose first in the rotation draft,
I'd be flexible on that one.)