[USML Announce] USML - Draft Day 2004

Richard E. Robbins RERobbins at iTinker.net
Sun Mar 7 17:22:19 EST 2004

What are league fees this year?  I know that we each chip in $100 for the
pot and that an additional amount is added for administrative fees.  I've
lost track of what the total should be.  Can Jeff and/or Mark post a message
on this point?

-- Rich

  _____

From: announce-bounces at usml.net [mailto:announce-bounces at usml.net] On Behalf
Of MBBlocker at aol.com
Sent: Sunday, March 07, 2004 12:55 PM
To: announce at usml.net
Subject: [USML Announce] USML - Draft Day 2004

Gang:

  Well, believe it or not, Draft Day 2004 is approaching.  For those both
new and old to the league, here is the information for arriving at the draft
at an appropriate time.

Date/time:  This Friday, March 12, starting at 6:00 p.m.

Location:  The draft will be held on the 55th floor at Sidley.

Directions:  Sidley is located in the Bank One building in downtown Chicago;
the actual street address is 10 S. Dearborn.  The building is at the corner
of Madison and Clark (on the west) or Madison and Dearborn (on the east),
depending upon whether you enter from the east or west side of the building.

  Once you arrive at the building, you will have to go through security,
which consists of someone checking to see if your name is on the security
list (it will be), checking your photo ID (please bring one), and then
giving you a badge (oh boy).  Unfortunately for you, the badge is not a
ticket to a good draft; its just a ticket into the elevator banks in the
building.  Please then take the elevators to the 55th floor.

  When you arrive on 55, either Rich or I will locate you and bring you into
the 55th floor, which is also a secure area.

Food:  As Rich's e-mail suggested, please try to either eat beforehand or
bring something with you.  We can order food for delivery, but as the above
security procedures should make clear, its a hassle to do so and will slow
down the draft.

Preparation:  Even the most unprepared (read: me) can easily participate in
the auction draft, because its open-outcry bidding, but please bring
appropriate lists for the rotation draft.  For those who are new, the
"rotation draft" is the means by which you acquire 17 players for an initial
reserve roster.  The draft consists of 17 rounds of straight drafting of
unclaimed players following the regular auction draft.  However, the supply
of "real" major leaguers is generally not sufficient to stock each team's
slate of 17 reserve players, so teams almost always draft minor leagues and
even college players.  But to do so, you must be prepared with lists of such
players.  It dramatically slows down the rotation draft when players have to
page through books to look for players, so some preparation is appreciated.

Questions:  If you have question about any of the above, please e-mail or
call me during the week.  See you Friday night.