[USML Announce] Don't Shoot the Messenger

JHWinick at aol.com JHWinick at aol.com
Thu Mar 11 17:01:52 EST 2004

In a message dated 3/11/2004 3:54:43 PM Central Standard Time,
rrobbins at Sidley.com writes:
The Devil Rays have just sent a bunch of players, including many of their
more prominent prospects, down to the minor leagues.  These changes are not
reflected on the 40 man rosters currently posted on mlb.com, although the
transaction is.  What do you want to do about this one gentlemen?  My initial thought
is that none of these players should be eligible for the auction.  It seems
wrong to include them when the Devil Rays have moved them down to the minor
leagues.  On the other hand, it is getting very close to the draft.  Ugh.
-- Rich

Rich,

I'm pretty sure we've already dealt with this.  We agreed that the available
players would be as they were indicated on the 40 man rosters as of Monday.
As much as you'd like to limit the availability of minor leaguers at the
auction, I think this would be changing the rules right before the draft.