[USML Announce] Ugie

SpringKerb at aol.com SpringKerb at aol.com
Mon Mar 22 17:26:20 EST 2004

Updated: 04:29 PM EST
Indians Might Turn to Urbina to Replace Wickman
Cleveland's Regular Closer Sidelined for Half of Season With Sprained Elbow

WINTER HAVEN, Fla. (March 22) -- The Cleveland Indians are meeting with free agent Ugueth Urbina, four days after losing closer Bob Wickman for at least half the season.

Urbina, who helped the Florida Marlins win the World Series last season, took a physical for the Indians on Monday.

"We are not at the stage where we are discussing terms, nor are we anywhere close to it," Indians general manager Mark Shapiro said.

The 30-year-old Urbina was 3-4 with a 2.81 ERA last season and converted 32 of 38 save opportunities for Texas and Florida. He saved four games for Florida during the postseason.

Pittsburgh and Minnesota reportedly made offers that did not approach what Urbina was hoping to be paid. He earned $4.5 million last year.

Peter Greenberg, the pitcher's agent, did not return a telephone message.

Wickman, recovering from reconstructive elbow surgery, has a sprained right elbow and will not pitch again until at least after the All-Star break.

Right-handed setup man David Riske is expected to be given an opportunity to replace Wickman.