[USML Announce] Matt LaPorta - Wherefore art thou?? .:. .:.

JHWinick at aol.com JHWinick at aol.com
Tue Jun 6 17:14:42 EDT 2006

In a message dated 6/6/2006 4:00:36 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
mblocker at Sidley.com writes:

(And the  only way in which Longoria is better than Span is that Longoria has
NEVER made  an out in a professional game, a sentiment which spurred the
creation of  C.O.P.S.).

I was so hoping you would take the bait on Span.  I hereby move to  have your
membership in COPS revoked.  I figured Joey "Monster-Talent"  Gathright would
be enough to deny you membership.  Apparently not.   But now you have once
again shamelessly hyped a bum in a manner that would  even embarrass Mr. Jansen.
 Need some proof?  How about this:

In 204 AA at bats, Mr. Span has exactly 4 doubles, 2 triples and 1 home  run.
 These impressive numbers are supported by 15 rbi's.  Then  there is the 2/1
strikeout to walk ratio.  There's also the fact that he  gets thrown out
nearly 30% of the time that he attempts to steal a base.

This is what BaseballHQ has to say about this new "monster-talent" touted  by
PT:

Strengths: Athleticism/plus speed (4.0). Contact/BA ability.  Range. Quick
release
Weaknesses: Hitting for power. Pitch  recognition. Arm strength. Taking
proper routes
Comments: Speedy  athlete, whose bat finally showed some promise with a more
mature approach.  Embraced slash-and run style, along with better plate
discipline, hitting the  ball on the ground and getting on-base more often. Likes to
use opposite field  and can drive a mistake. Plenty of range for CF, but arm
is fringe-average.
MLB Debut: 2007
Potential: Fourth outfielder

Focus on that 4th outfielder conclusion.

I will proudly cast the first stone and move for Mark "PT" Blocker's
banishment from COPS.

That is all.

Jeff Winick