[USML Announce] A Blast From the Past

JHWinick at aol.com JHWinick at aol.com
Fri Jun 9 22:05:06 EDT 2006

PT/KR asked me to search elsewhere for material....and so I have.  I  got a
chuckle from this little PT/KR blast from the past:

Top 5 Reasons Winick Won't Even Beat Me (Let Alone Win):

5.   Too busy with other leagues

Jeff, as we all know, is an  Expert.  He write roto  columns.  He hob-nobs
with (and  apparently provides legal services to) the  Roto Establishment.
But
as the league's lone Expert, Jeff will rightly  size up USML as the
proverbial
lost cause -- he can't win -- so he will spend  his time on  one of his many
other roto leagues.  For teams like mine,   unaccustomed to the Upper Tier,
these are salad days, and so we will   soldier on.  Jeff knows better, so he
will
spend his time  elsewhere.

4.  Brad is no longer in the league

Oh how  Jeff longs for the days when he and the Riptorns flopped the  same
bevvy of players back and forth on alternate years.  No more.   If  he is
going
to beat me, he will have to do it without an overly  friendly  face.  That's
lot tougher.

3.  He has  nothing (and mostly never had) anything left to  trade.

Buyer  beware here.  So far Jeff has managed to squeeze a couple  decent
players for his usual handful of baby-faced beans, but there is truly
nothing
left on his roster.  I will be the first one to mock (and pity)  the  fool
who
hands over the storehouse keys for the likes of John  "Long Shot" Danks  and
Tino
"I've Shot My Wad for the Year"  Martinez.

2.  Blown opportunities

Jeff had a real  chance to improve his team by dangling Crawford --  who
would have  brought a ton -- but with the Posednik trade and the  remaining
speed
on contending teams, Jeff has no way to recoup the speed if he  does  deal
him.
After Crawford, what's left?  (See point 3   above).

1.  My team is better

Self-explanatory.

-- Mark B.

What were the final standings, you ask?  Well...suffice it say, it was  PT/KR
who bought me a chicken dinner in honor of my higher finish - not vice  versa.

By the way, has anyone else notice a certain repetitive theme that runs
through so many of PT/KR's posts?  Seems to be a consistent refrain that  goes
something like this:

Jeff's a self-proclaimed expert
Jeff is Ron Shandler's lawyer
Jeff overhypes his rookies