[USML Announce] A Modest Proposal

SpringKerb at aol.com SpringKerb at aol.com
Mon Jun 12 07:00:43 EDT 2006

In a message dated 6/11/2006 10:39:49 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
Bbuddhas at aol.com writes:

mandating equal scholarship money for women is like mandating equal  academic
scholarships for D students...it's nuts

Behind you all the way.  As I said, it's just not enough.

But, more seriously, I'm no fan of Title IX either. However, I don't  think
it's a men/women problem per se.  I think it's mostly a problem of  lumping the
revenue sports (mostly football) with everything else.  Men's  programs in
minor sports (e.g. wrestling) get killed as a result.  To the  extent a sport
pays its own way, I don't see any reason it should be subject to  anything like
Title IX.  The secondary problem is that numerical equality  is a poor measure
when so many more high school boys than girls play sports--and  want to play
sports--that numerical equality over-rewards women.

If Title IX were modified to eliminate its coverage of revenue sports and  to
take into account the number of men versus women that enter college as
athletes, I don't think I'd have much of a problem with it, and I don't think  most
other people would, either.