[USML Announce] League update -- Potential 11th team

Jim Barrett chicagojab at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 7 22:01:38 EST 2006

Speaking as a biased-owner who had to start from scratch when I joined, I believe that the new owner should start from scratch as well. I know that I wasn't replacing a team when I joined; but I did come in alone so it wasn't a two team situation.  I didn't even get a chance to have an expansion draft of the players that the other owners decided to throw back into the auction draft pool.  Some new owners shouldn't be given the benefit of taking over a roster just because they happen to be joining when another team exited.

   The only time I think a new owner should assume a pre-existing team is when there is a co-ownership situation.  That is, a new owner can replace half of an existing tandem or a current owner can add a partner even if he was operating solo previously.

  -Jim

MBBlocker at aol.com wrote:
      League:

    Great news on the league composition fromt.  There is a possibility we have located an owner to take the place of the Cups team.  The individual who is considering joining is an owner with solid roto credentials and I am confident will be acceptable to the league.  The prospective owner has agreed to give me answer about joining by the morning.

    In anticipation of the addition of an 11th owner, I want to clarify the rules by which the new owner will enter.  After canvassing several owners today, I believe the rule we have followed in the past is to permit the owner to take over a "vacated" team if there is only one new owner.  When there were more new owners than vacated teams, we disbanded the old team and had the new owners start from scratch.  For example, when the Riptorns left and we added Buddha and Cups, we gave those owners blank slates, rather than dividing up the Riptorns.

    Please confirm this is correct.  I'd like to be able to give the new owner a full lay of the land.  Also, we can discuss tomorrow whether the new owner will be appropriate for our league, although I suspect everyone will agree he is.

    Please respond rapidly.