[USML Announce] Peralta - Swisher Update

JHWinick at aol.com JHWinick at aol.com
Sat Sep 9 11:19:06 EDT 2006

In a message dated 9/9/2006 7:36:37 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
anrklein at yahoo.com writes:

So,  Jeff, when you and the gurus put dollar values on Peralta and Swisher
next  year, will an outfielder with 1/2 season numbers of .228-11-35-34 really
be  more than a shortstop with .265-5-26-26?

Professor,

When us high powered experts get together, we'll take a look at ALL of the
numbers, including the entire season, and those numbers paint a little
different  picture:

Nick Swisher has full-season numbers of .253-30-84-92
Jhonny Peralta has full-season numbers of .255-12-60-80

You really think its a tough call to decide which one is more valuable,
regardless of position?

And I figured you'd bring up Coco and his stolen bases, so I examined his
other numbers:

Since June 30th, his numbers are .254-5-18-27 with 13 stolen bases.   For the
season, his numbers are .265-8-31-55 and 20 stolen bases.  The high  powered
experts aren't going to be too impressed with this guy either.

As for Cantu, as you may recall, I'm not a fan.  His complete absence  of
strike zone judgment has caught up with him.  But compare his numbers to  Peralta
and his miserable performance gets a little context.  For the  season:
.242-12-57-37 and a stolen base.  The bottom line is  that both Cantu and Peralta
are worthless as keepers.  The difference is  that PT/KR would have been STUCK
with Peralta at $7 and he can cut Cantu.   Advantage PT/KR.

And, as between Swisher and Coco, PT/KR can keep Swisher for $2 next  year
(which he certainly should) or he would be STUCK keeping Coco Crisp for  $7.

So, despite your having excoriated PT/KR for his decision to take Doug's
offer rather than yours, the truth is that, in retrospect, neither of you
offered him much and you offered LESS.

I stand by my statement that you owe PT/KR an apology.  As between you  and
Doug, PT/KR clearly made the right choice.  Now, might he have been  better off
if he'd allowed Rich to hold him hostage?  Well.......

Jeff Winick