[USML Announce] one change

Richard E. Robbins RERobbins at iTinker.net
Wed Apr 4 06:30:48 EDT 2007

2B

  _____

From: announce-bounces at usml.net [mailto:announce-bounces at usml.net] On Behalf
Of jhwinick at aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2007 10:23 PM
To: announce at usml.net
Subject: Re: [USML Announce] one change

Buddha,

The Klein proposal was either voted down or withdrawn, depending upon who
you ask.  The Barrett proposal, on the other hand, requires a vote:

Although as a general matter, I don't support last minute rules changes, I
believe that given present circumstances this is a rules change that is
worthy of a vote at this time.

The choices are three:

1.  Leave the constitution unmodified and continue to allow teams to trade
players who's USML contracts are not running without any limitations.

2A.  Amend the USML Constitution by adding the following provision:

"From the commencement of the USML auction until June 1, if a player whose
USML contract is not running is traded, that player will be deemed to be in
the first year of his USML contract without regard to whether the acquiring
owner rosters the player."

2B.  Amend the constitution by adding the following provision:

"From the commencement of the USML auction until June 1, a team can not
trade a player whose USML contract is not running."

For purposes of making the decision easy, vote for either 1 (Constitution
unmodified) or 2 (Constitution modified).  If you vote for 2, indicate
whether you support 2A, 2B or both.  If the majority vote to amend the USML
Constitution, then the proposed alternative with the greater number of votes
will be adopted, effective immediately (i.e. as of the commencement of the
2007 auction).

I believe that there is a consensus regarding the wisdom of amending the
USML Constitution to address this issue.  A similar rule has been adopted in
4 of the 5 other leagues I play in.  It has been quite successful in
diminishing the ill will created by early season dump trades involving minor
leaguers and, I believe, can defuse what otherwise appears to be a
potentially controversial issue for the USML.

Jeff Winick