[USML Announce] USML - Comments on transactions and reporting

JHWinick at aol.com JHWinick at aol.com
Wed Apr 11 15:12:07 EDT 2007

In a message dated 4/11/2007 8:56:26 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
mblocker at Sidley.com writes:

Gang:
Some comments on the various e-mails about  transactions.
1.  Week One transactions:  Unless I  misunderstood the transaction reporting
for the first week, I do not think we  properly entered the post-draft
transactions.  On the website, all of the  players that were the subject of
post-draft transactions appear to have been  activated as if they started the season
on the active roster, and my  understanding was that those players would be
activated effective 4/8.   Here is an example.  I drafted Juan Rivera, who is on
the DL, and after  the draft replaced him with Mike Sweeney, who I obtained in
the rotation  draft.  Again, my understanding was that for players I obtained
at  auction, I got their first week stats no matter what (in this case, a
zero  since he is on the DL), and then Sweeney was activated as of Sunday, April
8.  However, on the system, all 20 ABs that Sweeney has since opening day
(4/1) show up on my team totals.  In addition, if you click on  transactions,
there are zero transactions listed with an effective date of  April 8, even
though there should have been numerous such transactions.   Am I wrong about this
or just missing something?  IF I am right, I will  compile a list of
post-draft transactions and go back and fix all of this  retroactively.
2.  GOP transaction:  A transaction was  entered yesterday for GOP, but it
shows an effective date of 4/9  (Monday).  That can't be right under any
scenario, is it?
3.  Future FAAB transactions:  I had not  considered the issue of how to
handle our e-bay style FAAB bidding.  I do  not believe that we can handle it by
simply adjusting down the contract of the  obtained player, because I think the
system will deduct the full amount of the  actual bid from a team's FAAB
budget.  I will do some looking around the  site, but it seems to me that the
likely fix will be to (1) continue to have  teams submit sealed bids to usmltrans
and (2) sometime on Sunday evening, I  will review at them, and then "un-do"
any affected transactions and re-enter  them as if the appropriate e-bay price
had been paid.  This will still  reduce the burden on the commissioner,
because the only transactions that will  need to be re-entered are ones where there
are competing bids.
I am interested in people's thoughts on the  above items.
-- Mark B.

Mark,

1.  You are correct on the transactions being back-dated too  far.  That was
my fault and is a function of entering things in the middle  of the night.
Thanks for pointing that out.  I'll be happy to correct  those so that they
reflect activation on the 8th, rather than the 1st.

2.  The GOP transaction should be effective on the 8th.  Another  mistake on
my part, but one that's easy to correct.

3.  I think you and I are on the same page with respect to FAAB.   But here
is my take.  We will use the automated system, with the  understanding that the
system will automatically award the player to the  successful bidder at the
full bid price.  Teams will have to shadow  their bids with submissions to
USMLTrans and either you or I will then correct  both the salary of the player as
well as add dollars back to the successful  team's FAAB budget.  As for all
other transactions issues, including  contingent bidding, I think we agree that
we will allow what the system will  accommodate and otherwise our rules will
change to match the functionality of  All Star Stats.