[USML Announce] The Winick Weekly

Brad Jansen bljansen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 15:40:16 EDT 2007

*Note From the Editor Jeffrey Winick: *Hi, everybody.  Well, now that
I officially concede this season to the Hoosier Daddies (which frankly isn't
*so *bad because yet again I trounced the woeful Bombers), I now can resume
my favorite pasttime: touting my baseball roto genius in articles of both
general and sepcific interest.

What I found most interesting in this wild and wacky week of plunging stock
prices and the arrival of Brangelina to our Fair City is the latest dispatch
from the fine folks at *Baseball America.  *Let nonbelievers like Andy Klein
mock the Bible of True Baseball Believers, but heed my words, both friend
and foe.  The current issue highlights the brightest stars of the current
crop of minor leage prospects and, I gotta tell you, the Red Hots sport
their own constellation.  Just glance at where the Red Hots' prospects rank
in terms of Star Power in the eyes of *BA*:

Catcher:
No. 2 Hank Conger

First Base:
No. 2 Lars Anderson

Center Field:
No. 2 Cameron Maybin
No. 5 Jacoby Ellsbury
No. 7 Gorkys Hernandez
No. 9 Brian Barton

Righthanded Starters
No. 8 Jeff Niemann
No. 10 Eric Hurley

Quite an intimidating list, eh?  Only the Flaming Rips come remotely close
(1B: Barton, No. 3; 2B: Casilla, No. 5; CF: Jones, No. 3; Corner OF: Snider,
No. 2; SP: Buchholz, No. 2, Adam Miller, No. 9), but those guys would be
traded by next week if we didn't impose such silly deadlines.  What does all
this mean? Well, perhaps nothing if Andy Klein issues his long-threatened
fatwa to censor all thought and talk about minor leaguers, but I for one
will form rebel forces to take up arms against his pious and self-serving
rhetoric if he so dares me.  But as for now, I'm merely content with
bouncing him from 2nd place.  If I can't sit on the throne, at least let me
close enough to smell the cushion.

And that, everyone, is that.  Ta ta for now, glad to be here!
Jeffrey Horatio Winick