[USML Announce] You Don't Need a Winick To Know Which Way The Wind Blows

Brad Jansen bljansen at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 13:48:33 EDT 2007

Dear Rick:
  A head's up: Jeff Winick once again is up to his usual chicanery and,
since he intends to field a moneyball team this year, it is more important
than ever to keep a vigilant eye on him.
  When Jeffrey explains the Constitution and qualifies his unsupported
propositions with the statement "as I understand the rules," you should
expect a self-serving interpretation that's totally biased in his favor.
   To wit: Contrary to Jeffrey's deliberate and willful misstatement of the
Law, the Constitution does *not *state that your active roster must be
limited to nine players come draft day.  While a team may *reserve* up to
nine players from its active and reserve rosters (plus three additional
players on its reserve roster who have major league rookie status and have
never been on the active roster of a USML team "without regard to
anticipated opening-day major league status") on roster freeze day (Art.
XVII, secs. 1, 5), there is no limitation on the number of players a team
may have on its active roster on draft day.  According to section 4 of Art.
XVII, if your protected players are on an AL team's roster, they shall be
assigned to your active roster.  If a player is on the DL, you may elect to
put him on your active or reserve roster (with salary counted against your
cap).  If a player is not on a major league roster or the DL, he's assigned
to your reserve roster.
     So, under the Constitution, as of draft day D-Mat will make your active
roster in addition to the nine players you reserved.  You are not required
to drop someone from the roster (unless, of course, you would have 10
pitchers, a situation not present here).  And if Elijah Dukes makes the
Devil Rays, Andy must add him to his active roster, too, giving him ten
players.
      The rule is clear as can be, notwithstanding Jeffrey's ill-considered
"understanding" of it.  Accordingly, I hereby request the League as a Whole
to take the following action:
      (i) Allow Rick Gammons until 7:00 p.m. tonight to rescind the
action he took in reliance on Jeffrey's misrepresentation; if Rick does not
elect to rescind that move, then it stands:
     (ii)  Impose some level of discipline on Jeffrey Winick, including
censure, suspension or beating; and
    (iii)  Impose such further sanctions on Jeffrey Winick as the League
seems fit.

And a personal note to Jeffrey:  Isn't it enough that you already are the
prohibitive favorite to win this year, with a reserve roster that
League wags are claiming is the best in League history?  Why can't playing
on a level field ever be enough for you?

Respectfully submitted,
Brad L. Jansen