[USML Announce] The Race

rickgam at comcast.net rickgam at comcast.net
Sun Sep 30 08:58:33 EDT 2007

Greetings;
     Wasn't that some excitement between Alonso and Hamilton in the F1 race this morning in Japan?  Oh yeah, the USML Race.  Well, unless Buddha and I can reverse the B.A. standings to where they were yesterday and I can come up with 2 more SBs than Brad today, in the immortal words of Howard Cosell, "It's ovah, it's all ovah!".  Well played Mr. Winick!  Did I choke?  To a small extent I suppose, but oddly enough I would probably do things exactly the same.  Despite some impressive moves by Mssrs. Winick and Klein my feeble calculations still had me taking the hitting categories, so I stood pat.  Besides, if you all had seen the deals I was offered you would have stood pat too.  I'll admit that I didn't work real hard at negotiating any big deals because I was dreaming of pulling off a Riptornesque back to back run.  I knew that I was tempting fate by playing for this year and next year, but I rolled the dice and thought that the cushion was enough.  Apparently I be wrong - but I d
o like my '08 retention roster!
     The save category is the main culprit.  When Gagne was traded and forgot how to pitch for awhile, that was one thing.  But The Move that really did in the Dads was the curious decision by the T. Bay braintrust to screw both Dan Wheeler and myself by sticking with an injury-prone 38 year old closer with an E.R.A. of 5 instead of letting their future closer close when they acquired Mr. Wheeler at the trade deadline.  Did that make sense to any of you fine gentlemen?
     Look at me crying into my 5 Alive juice.  I meant to congratulate Jeff and Andy for making this an historic race, as well as Buddha and Mark B. for an entertaining final money slot race.  Well played gents!
     Rick