[USML Announce] CBS response on running of FAAB

Blocker, Mark B. mblocker at Sidley.com
Tue Apr 8 11:01:48 EDT 2008

Here is my Q and A with CBS on what time FAAB bids must be submitted by.  I did not bring the Rosetta Stone back with me from England, so I do not understand its response....

Q:  In our league settings, we set the "Add/drop policy" to "automated process to do add/drops (FAAB)" and set the "FAAB run" day to be Saturday. At what time on Saturday does the system process the FAAB bids? By what day and time must owners have submitted FAAB bids in order for their bids to be considered in the evaluation? This information is important so that league owners know by what time they must submit their FAAB bids. Thanks.

A: In head-to-head leagues, waiver order, or FAAB order, will be based on by default, the reverse order of your standings. In the case of week one the waiver order will be based on the reverse draft order, meaning that the owner with the last pick in the draft will have the first crack at the waiver wire. In the case of a roto league, the first week will also be based on the reverse order of the draft, and in the case of a tie on the standings after week one, the order will randomly generate an order. The commissioner, however, can edit this order by going to the Add/Drop page and clicking the Edit Waiver Wire link at the bottom of the page.

Once you click the link to Start Waivers, or Start FAAB, all players must go through an initial waiver process. Once all the players go through waivers, they will become free agents and the players that were dropped will go through their own waiver process. Also, some common confusion with the waiver wire comes with the fact that if you only have certain days set for waivers to run, say Monday and Thursday, and you just start your waivers on Wednesday and the waiver wait period is three days, the first waiver run will not take place until the following Monday.

On the Add/Drop page you can also choose to either set a transaction for a future scoring period or set it up retroactively. These options are designated with a box that you can check off at the bottom of the Add/Drop page. Another thing to pay attention to is when you have waivers set to run, in terms of the check boxes that are found on the Transaction page under the League Rules. The easiest way for waivers to run is to have all the days checked off, you of course don?t have to do this, but it helps. If you start waivers the day before your waivers are set to run, it?s unlikely the first waiver run will occur on time, that?s where the days that you set the waivers to run come into play.

You cannot view the post-FAAB run wagers. What I can do is provide you with a list of the bids for that particular FAAB run. The only way to view bids is to have all the FAAB transactions run through you, the commissioner. Using this process you can view all the bids and when you have to run the FAAB you can keep track of all the losing bids as well. You can find this option under Setup, League Rules, and Transactions.

The FAAB will run the same way that regular waivers run, but with the addition that the player will be awarded to the highest bidder. Owners will not have FAAB money taken from them if they do not win the player in the FAAB run. You can also edit FAAB amounts by going to the Add/Drop page and selecting to Edit FAAB Amounts.

Sidley Austin LLP mail server made the following annotations on 04/08/08, 11:08:00:
IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: To comply with certain U.S. Treasury regulations, we inform you
that, unless expressly stated otherwise, any U.S. federal tax advice contained in this
communication, including attachments, was not intended or written to be used, and cannot be
used, by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding any penalties that may be imposed on such
taxpayer by the Internal Revenue Service.  In addition, if any such tax advice is used or referred
to by other parties in promoting, marketing or recommending any partnership or other entity,
investment plan or arrangement, then (i) the advice should be construed as written in connection
with the promotion or marketing by others of the transaction(s) or matter(s) addressed in this
communication and (ii) the taxpayer should seek advice based on the taxpayer's particular
circumstances from an independent tax advisor.

immediately.