[USML Announce] Berliner FAAB Bids

Richard E. Robbins RERobbins at iTinker.net
Sat Aug 2 11:58:30 EDT 2008

That all sounds reasonable Jeff.

I must admit I never made the effort to try and figure out how the CBS
system works.

If yoiu can do by hand what the system does then I agree that makes the most
sense.

Thanks for doing the work to make this happen.

As an aside, I relied on Mark Blocker's comment just prior to the bidding
this week that the system wouldn't allow us to bid more in the aggregate
than we had in our FAAB budgets.  Had I realized this was not the case I
would have bid differently, i.e., more.  It seems to me though that that's
just the price I pay for not getting my head into this stuff sooner.

-- Rich

  _____

From: announce-bounces at usml.net [mailto:announce-bounces at usml.net] On Behalf
Of jhwinick at aol.com
Sent: Saturday, August 02, 2008 9:38 AM
To: announce at usml.net
Subject: Re: [USML Announce] Berliner FAAB Bids

Rich,

The answer is no, since we agreed that notwithstanding the contingent
bidding rules in the constitution, we would default to the system.  And the
system allows contingent bids.  To do otherwise would be inconsistent with
an explicit agreement on how we would proceed this year and I, for one,
relied upon that agreement.

I just got off the phone with Andy and there are a couple of issues:

1.  How do we deal with evaluating bids?  Andy agrees with me that we should
try to reproduce what the system does.  Upon investigation, it appears that
the system evaluates bids by looking at the most expensive bid first and
evaluates all competing bids for that player.  If the winning bidder has bid
contingently, he is awarded that player and all of his other contingent bids
are disregarded.  The system then turns to the next player with the highest
bid and proceeds in the same fashion.  I will be happy to engage in this
effort if its agreeable to the league.

2.  The next question is how to evaluate resulting salaries.  Andy's
position, as best I understand it, is that contingent bids should be
disregarded for purposes of determining resulting salaries.  My position is
that we should follow the system as far as awarding players and the
resulting salary should be $1 higher than the next highest bid, regardless
of whether the bid was contingent.  That assumes, by the way, that all
contingent bids that would have been ignored by the system would similarly
be ignored when determining salaries.

So, gentlement, we have a decision to make.

I propose that we treat things in the same fashion as the system.  I believe
I can perform that function relatively easily and will be happy to spell out
my conclusions clearly so everyone can evaluate whether I've done it
correctly.

Jeff Winick
Acting Commissioner