[USML Announce] USML Holds First-Ever Combined Bat Miztva/Winter Meetings...

Bbuddhas at aol.com Bbuddhas at aol.com
Mon Dec 8 15:12:57 EST 2008

ask Barney Frank    there's a genius      or maybe the new First Mama has the
answer

In a message dated 12/6/2008 10:36:03 P.M. Central Standard Time,
springkerb at aol.com writes:

December 6, 2008, Northbrook, IL.

The USML broke with tradition this year, holding its first-ever  combined Bat
Mitzva, winter meetings and draft.  In a hastily convened  meeting,
co-commissioners Rich Robbins, Mark Blocker and Jeff Winick ruled  that, due to
continuing problems in resolving Draft Day scheduling, an ad hoc  super-meeting
approach best suited the needs of the league.  League maven  Winick explained, "It
was obvious that we could not avoid having multiple  franchises draft from
remote locations.  Under the circumstances, it  seemed best to go forward today,
which was the only date on which more than  half the league was available."

The unique approach required the commissioners to act as Draft Day  proxies
for several absent franchises, but all present agreed that the outcome  was
"fair and balanced," in keeping with the standard long advocated by  long-time
league curmudgeon Buddha Strotman.  The most dramatic moment of  the draft came
when free agent C.C. Sabathia went to the Riptorns (headed  by Winick, bidding
on behalf of owner Brad Jansen) for a league record  $67, after a protracted
bidding war between with the Klein Nine (represented  by Blocker, on behalf of
owner Andy Klein).  Both the 'Torns and the Nine  ultimately spent more than
$200 on starting pitchers.  Blocker was  philosophical.  "When the 'Torns and
the Nine both went with the 'all K's  all the time' strategy, it was
inevitable that we'd miss out on one or two  punch-out artists.  But with Clay Buchholz
($35) and Scott Kazmir ($55),  I think the Nine will be a force anyway."

Perhaps the most radical strategy was used by the Lake Michigan Calamari
(with Robbins acting on behalf of owner Jim Barrett), who bought every  available
closer and spent only $16 on position players.  Asked to  comment on the
approach, Robbins simply noted, "I can't believe I gave up  Jacoby Ellsbury and
Jon Lester for a close-up view of Doug Shableman's  butt."

As expected, Strotman has his own, unique view of the proceedings.  "The
surge is working," he opined, declining to explain what that had to  do with the
draft results, recent unemployment figures or stock market  performance.

Listen to 350+ music, sports, & news radio stations ? including songs  for
the holidays ? FREE while you browse. _Start  Listening Now_
(http://toolbar.aol.com/aolradio/download.html?ncid=emlweusdown00000013) !

announce  mailing  list
announce at usml.net