[USML Announce] Two Rule Proposals

Richard E. Robbins RERobbins at iTinker.net
Tue Jan 22 05:23:51 EST 2008

We already recognize that there is something fundamentally different about
being traded out of the league and suffering an injury, suspension etc.
That's why we compensate the USML owner by adding back FAAB.  To my mind the
only question is whether the compensation is adequate and whether there is a
suitable alternative.  I think that our current system does not adequately
compensate the owner of a player who is traded out of the league and that
this proposed rule change offers a superior alternative.  If a player
suffers an injury, both the major league team and the USML team suffer
without compensation.  If a player is traded out of the AL, the major league
team gets whatever they negotiated in trade, the USML team gets a few FAAB
dollars.

This has been a close call in the past -- I think the last time we voted our
then ten owner league split down the middle on the issue.

Thanks for your consideration.

-- Rich

  _____

From: announce-bounces at usml.net [mailto:announce-bounces at usml.net] On Behalf
Of jhwinick at aol.com
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2008 10:05 PM
To: announce at usml.net
Subject: Re: [USML Announce] Two Rule Proposals

I vote yes to trading FAAB and no to NL stats.

But if the NL stats proposal passes and stats for players traded to the NL
are going to count, I'd like to add the following proposal:

If a player on a team is incapacitated either because of injury, steroids,
suspension or any other reason far less predictable than being traded to the
NL, then that player should continue to accrue pro-rated stats until he
returns to active major league status.  The pro-rated stats will be
calculated by taking that player's stats for the season to date divided by
the number of games played by that player to date.  The USML team may
continue to accrue stats for that player on that basis until he returns to
active major league status.

Guys....the most predictable of all of the "bad" things that can happen to a
player is that player being traded out of the league.  For example, all of
Oakland's veterans, many of Baltimore's veterans, Paul Konerko, etc. are the
continued subject matter of trade rumors.  They are therefore a bit higher
risk than other players.  I have no doubt but that that will be factored
into their price.  If they get traded out of the league, the last thing we
ought to be doing is not only eliminating the consequences of having taken
that risk, but adding the lottery factor of a potential bonus associated
with the player getting traded to a better NL team.  We don't compensate
teams that suffer injuries.  We don't compensate teams whose players get
suspended.  Why would we compensate teams whose players are traded out of
the league?

Should we be changing the rules to safeguard the values of Eric Bedard,
Brian Roberts, Paul Konerko and others?  We've certainly never done anything
like that in the past and I hope we don't deviate now.  But if we do, I say
we maintain philosophic consistency and eliminate as much risk as possible
associated with drafting a player:  injuries, suspension and being traded
out of the league.  No sense merely going half way.

Jeff Winick