[USML Announce] Two Rule Proposals

jhwinick at aol.com jhwinick at aol.com
Wed Jan 23 08:24:00 EST 2008

First, I am not suggesting that my proposal to require a super-majority be applied retroactively, so this issue will be resolved in accordance with the current terms of the constitution - by majority vote.? But I do encourage those who proposed the rule, as well as those who support it to consider the principle to which my rules proposal is addressed.

To my recollection, this league has never adopted a rule, ANY rule, without consensus.? We've come close and every time we do it creates great acrimony.? As recently as last year, a proposal to ban the trading of minor leaguers threatened the very survival of the league.? I don't suggest that this rule poses a similar risk, but why would we ever adopt a rule that a significant (in this case, nearly 50%) of the league opposes?

This league survives and prospers because we all have fun playing in it.? Rules disputes make it considerably less fun for me and I assume the same is true for others.? There will be times when we come to a consensus about rules changes - like moving to Ultra or moving to 5x5.? That's part of the evolution of any league.? There may come a time when using NL stats is acceptable to more than a simple majority of the league.? But when Mark Blocker and Jeff Winick, the?two remaining original members of the league (and two fellows who never agree on ANYTHING)?actually agree on something and it still appears that it may pass over their objection, it seems to me that we're probably making a mistake.

FAAB compensation is an imperfect remedy for players traded out of the league.? But in most cases, the risk of a player being traded out of the league is something that can be evaluated and factored into the bidding.? Paul Konerko is on the block.? If he isn't cheap, I won't be buying him because there's a significant chance that he'll be traded out of the league.? The same is true for Baltimore and Oakland veterans.? Eric Bedard is on the block.? I have no doubt but that Mark B. could find a team willing to take a chance on his being traded to an AL team or not traded at all.? But once again, there is a means of addressing the risk.? FAAB compensation, while an imperfect remedy, isn't controversial.? I say we stick with it.??

By the way, I do have one?tweak to FAAB adjustments that might address one of Rich's concerns.? He argued that teams with cheap veterans on retained contracts might get FAAB compensation that?isn't reflective of the current value of the player.? How about we modify the FAAB compensation so that any team that loses a player to the other league that has a contract less than $10 and is on a retained contract (i.e. wasn't picked up in the auction or drafted in the current year) gets FAAB compensation of no less than $10.? I could be persuaded that the appropriate number is as much as $15, but you get the idea.

Jeff Winick??