[USML Announce] (no subject)

Doug Shabelman doug at burnsent.com
Wed Jun 11 12:29:41 EDT 2008

WHO OWNS HIM???

The following is the full text of a letter written by former Orioles
outfielder Jay Gibbons to all 30 major league teams, seeking a minor
league contract. Gibbons, who was named in the Mitchell report, has been
without a job since Baltimore released him in March.
Writing this letter is both painful and humiliating. It has been almost
six weeks since my release from the Orioles and I am still unable to
land any opportunity at a second chance to play the game that I love.

I am young, healthy and determined. I have acknowledged and apologized
for the mistake that I made and writing this letter should be proof
enough that I have indeed suffered for my mistake.

I have faith and hope that some team will give me the chance to prove
that I can not only be a productive player but also be a stellar member
of their organization. My faith in a second chance has inspired me to
work harder than I have at any time in my life. My faith has gotten me
through this most difficult period in my life.

All I need is a chance -- any chance -- anywhere. I am more than willing
to begin the process of proving that I can and will be a productive
major league player by playing in the minor leagues.

As you know, I have played seven seasons in the big leagues and have hit
20-plus homeruns in three seasons and have hit .277 in three seasons
(2003, 2005 and 2006). At 31 years old, I have NO DOUBT that my best
baseball is ahead of me.

I know that my agents at ACES have tried to land me an opportunity in
the minor leagues but have been met with negative responses by each and
every Organization. I am not blind to the fact that I have made a
mistake and that mistake has raised doubt about my character and
ability. It is important that you know that my indiscretions, while
regretful, were made in an effort to heal a nagging wrist injury. I
would encourage you to speak with anyone in this game, including
players, coaches, front office etc. who know me. I am confident that
everyone you speak with will vouch for my character.

I respectfully and humbly request that you grant me the chance to play
for your organization.

I am so willing to prove myself as a player, and a person, that I will
donate ALL of my minor league earnings to your Club's charity. In the
event that I earn the right to play at the major league level, I will
gladly donate a significant sum to that same charity.

Once again, all I need is a chance and I will prove that I can be an
extremely productive player and a great addition to your organization.

Please feel free to contact me directly [phone numbers redacted].

Sincerely,

Jay Gibbons

Doug Shabelman, President
Burns Entertainment & Sports Marketing, Inc.

(847) 866-9400 (office)
(773)269-9732 (cell)
doug at burnsent.com

www.burnsent.com

The information contained in this email is proprietary to Burns
Entertainment & Sports Marketing and is considered CONFIDENTIAL in its
entirety and may also be legally privileged. Information may not be
shared with employees of any other company or agency without the
expressed written permission of Burns Entertainment & Sports Marketing
and is subject to the verbal or explicit agreement between Burns and
recipient's company. If you are not the addressee indicated in this
message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you
may not copy or deliver this message to anyone.