[USML Announce] USML - Planning for 2009

Mark Blocker mbblocker at aol.com
Wed Nov 19 20:48:13 EST 2008

League:

            When I see Brad Jansen starting to implement his pump-and-dump
trade practices, I know its time to start getting back into roto, so here
goes.  Some of you may have noticed that I have been virtually invisible the
last two months.  The reason is, as some of you know, I have been out of
town for most of the last six weeks defending the honor of Kerber's employer
in a jury trial in Kansas City.  Thankfully for Kerber's bonus, the jury
made sure that everything came out just fine.

            But with that episode behind me, I now want to attend to roto.
There are four items of note, each of which is addressed below.

1.         Draft Day 2009

            We need to try to set a draft day well in advance this year.
Opening day is April 6, 2009.   Assuming we want to draft on a Saturday,
here are the options

After opening day:

April 11:  The second day of Passover, and the next day is Easter Sunday

April 18:  Available, but do we want to wait that long?

Before opening day:

April 4:  I know I will be out of town at the Sidley partners meeting

March 28:  Likely to be the end of most kids' Spring Breaks

March 21:  Open, but pretty far in advance

            Let me know what your schedules look like and what day makes
sense.

2.         Rules proposals

            If anyone wants to make rules proposals, I think you should try
to do so by mid- January at the latest, and preferably by mid-December.  As
in the past, please circulate proposed text for your rule.

3.         Stat Service

            We need to decide if we are going to stick with our current stat
service.  I would vote to keep our current service, which is
reasonably-priced and was working fine, but I recognize that there may have
been some dissatisfaction with aspects of the service.  Jeff W., if you
heard about any other stat services that were impressive, please feel free
to update us.

4.         League participation

            Finally, I am hoping it goes without saying that everyone will
participate again next year, but if there is some uncertainty, please let us
know now.

                                                                        *

            That's it for now.  Please respond with comments on the above,
especially preferred dates for our 2009 Draft.