[USML Announce] USML - Planning for 2009

jhwinick at aol.com jhwinick at aol.com
Fri Nov 28 10:44:29 EST 2008

Professor and Brad Lee,

The parties?mediated the dispute?two weeks ago.? I came prepared with a 25 page mediation statement and 200+ pages of supporting documentation.??Esteemed opposing counsel arrived with a 2 page mediation statement in which he asserted that notwithstanding any "evidence" that Mr. Winick might offer, it should all be evaluated and dismissed in light of the vast conspiracy to which I was a willing participant.? As far as I could tell the "smoking gun" supporting?the conspiracy theory is that the terminated general contractor was replaced by a general contractor?headquartered in the state of Florida and the individual who made the decision to terminate them had attended college at the University of Florida.? Needless to say, the mediation ended quickly.

The clincher was the phone call this week when opposing counsel told me that his client is judgment proof and will fight this case to the finish unless paid in full because he has nothing to lose.? Mind you, the amounts that his client is seeking are dwarfed by the damages sought by my client.?

I've got another case set for trial in LA in early April.? I didn't mention that as a conflict because it will almost certainly settle.? This one won't.? Sorry.