[USML Announce] USML - Bo Don't Know Saves

Mark Blocker mbblocker at aol.com
Wed Oct 1 00:07:12 EDT 2008

Here is a fact that is probably only of interest to me, but there must be a
wider lesson in it somewhere.

In 2008, the Bombers bought or retained two closers:  Todd Jones ($14) and
Joe Borowski ($20).  My $34 dollars purchased 24 saves, and both closers are
now out of baseball.  (Before anyone lampoons these purchases, ask if you
were one of the people muttering "nice buy" after I got Jones).

In 2008, the Bombers got multiple saves from three other players:  Brandon
Morrow (10); Jensen Lewis (13), and Frank Francisco (5).  The total cost of
those 28 saves: $1.  Lewis and Francisco were rotation draft picks, and
Morrow was purchased with my second to last auction dollar, when Jeff W and
I were trading $1 picks.