[USML Announce] FAAB Question

Richard E. Robbins RERobbins at iTinker.net
Sun Apr 5 11:32:24 EDT 2009

Ross Gload was traded from the Royals to the Marlins on April 1.

When I release him, do I get $2 added to my FAAB budget?

I can't think of another time when we had a pre-opening day draft with an
interleague trade prior to opening day.

Here's the text of Rule 14.6.

If a player who is traded to the National League during the course of a
season is on the Active Roster or the Reserve Roster of any team in the
League, that team may elect to waive the player at any time during that
season while the player remains in the National League. Upon any such
waiver, the salary of the waived player shall be immediately added (as
opposed to waiting until the commencement of the next succeeding Reporting
Period) to the waiving team's FAAB; provided, however, that in the case of a
player acquired in the most recent Rotation Draft or retained on a Reserve
Roster without having his salary deducted from the team's $260 expenditure
limit for the most recent Auction, $2 shall be added to the waiving team's
FAAB. The right to have funds added to a team's FAAB is limited to the
League team on whose roster the player appears when the player is traded to
the National League, provided, that for the limited purpose of this Section
14.6, a trade between League teams shall be given effect as of the time that
the trade is generally announced to the League. This Section 14.6 shall not
apply to off-season major league trades.

Do we treat this as an "in-season" trade because we had our draft or should
we treat it as an "off-season" trade (for obvious reasons)?

I really don't care, but this will set some kind of precedent either way.

Oh exaulted committee of the whole, please advise.

-- Rich

We're coming up on the first game of the season and I'm worried about Ross
Gload going from the Royals to the Marlins on April Fool's day.  It's going
to be a very long season for the Red-Hots.