[USML Announce] JHW Demonstrates How Best Defense Is Good Offense

Blocker, Mark B. mblocker at Sidley.com
Fri May 15 15:10:42 EDT 2009

Jeffrey:

  I am afraid that my vintage 1997 jalopy -- which I bought used to begin with -- would not be able to catch up to even your shiny station wagon, let alone any of the other sporty cars you keep in the Winick Stables.

  -- Mark B.

________________________________

	From: announce-bounces at usml.net [mailto:announce-bounces at usml.net] On Behalf Of jhwinick at aol.com
	Sent: Friday, May 15, 2009 3:05 PM
	To: announce at usml.net
	Subject: Re: [USML Announce] JHW Demonstrates How Best Defense Is Good Offense

	Brad Lee,

	If the shoe fits, my brother.....

	We've made two trades in which the key guys you traded away were Alex Gordon (busted hip - 60 day DL), Alexi Casilla (sub .200 BA, since demoted to AAA) and Vlad Guerrero (torn pectoral) along with Rick Porcello who looked at the time to be overmatched by major league hitters.  So, I wouldn't say that you've jumped into the deep end of the pool just yet.  And considering what you sent me, there won't be much sympathy on my end that you're not happy with the performances of the players you received in return.  Though I note you don't reference Sherrill, Saltalamachia or Kubel, all of whom have been terrific.

	But please don't try this weak sh-t on us that you're trying your best to enhance your team.  I have it on good authority that you are rejecting all inquiries regarding Messrs Longoria, Ramirez, Jones, Liriano, etc. When you engage Kerber or Robbins in good faith, then you can start taking offense at my remarks.  Until then, I'll keep calling it like I see it.

	As for Mr. Blocker's comments, let me provide a translation for those that aren't familiar with the bizarre sense of humor of big firm lawyers.  Maserati is code for 2nd tier.  In Sidley-speak, Maseratis are what reasonably successful lawyers dealing with a mid-life crisis who don't have Sidley money buy.  Mark was shopping at the Ferrari dealership. Guys like me don't shop for Maseratis, let alone a vehicle bearing the Prancing Horse.  And although flattered that Mark would expect me to be slumming at the Maserati dealership, I'm still happy driving my station wagon and its 90,000+ odometer.

	TOeFuKi