[USML Announce] The Big Cheese

Blocker, Mark B. mblocker at Sidley.com
Mon Nov 2 11:11:23 EST 2009

You just will never get it without going to Lambeau and seeing firsthand, so there is no sense in trying to help you.  But trust me, Jeff, the Pack now has an excellent QB, so few members of Packer Nation think they ?screwed up? by going with A-Rod after Favre completed his last pass (to Corey Webster of the Giants, as I recall) and then announced he had retired.  I was among those who thought Favre should have been re-installed as the QB for the 2008 season, but I do not fault the team for making the hard decision to go with A-Rod, rather than a one-year Favre reunion tour followed by the likely prospect of having to draft a new QB in 2009.  It was painful to let Favre go (and even more painful to watch him look for ways to exact ?revenge? against his team), but the team made the right decision.  The organization continues to honor Favre, just look on Packers.com, but fans have a right to be heard too.

I must say, I don?t recall you being such a big Favre fan when he was on the Pack, but maybe my memory is faulty?

  -- Mark B.

From: announce-bounces at usml.net [mailto:announce-bounces at usml.net] On Behalf Of jhwinick at aol.com
Sent: Monday, November 02, 2009 10:37 AM
To: announce at usml.net
Subject: Re: [USML Announce] The Big Cheese

Special fans?  You're kidding right?  Was there supposed to be a smiley face somewhere that I missed?

I just drove to Iowa City and back to watch the undefeated Iowa Hawkeyes keep their amazing, if improbable, season on track.  You want special fans?  I was surrounded by people who root for the Hawks as though their lives depended upon it.  And for them Mr. Fruit, the most important thing really is rooting for their team.  You won't catch them booing a kid who transfers to another school.  To the contrary, they always receive a warm welcome.  Heck, you won't even catch them booing the other team.  Their focus is on the home team.  Presumably their philosophy is consistent with that of any true sports fan - you root for your players to win and hopefully deservedly so, rather than rooting for the other team to lose.

Packers fans showed their true colors last night.  They weren't rooting for the Packers to beat Brett Favre.  Their focus was on disrespecting the very guy who is the face of the franchise.  You want analogs Mr. Blocker?  Its not the kicker.  No one EVER notices or cares about the kicker unless he makes the winning field goal or misses the crucial kick.  My guess is most Green Bay fans long since even forgot who Ryan Longwell is.  No....the better comparison is what took place a few nights ago in New Jersey, of all places.  All-Star Vince Carter, a guy who forced his way out of New Jersey, was met with a standing ovation on his first trip back.  That's right...he now plays for the Orlando Magic.  But these New Jersey residents, as far from "special" fans as you could possibly find, knew that the right thing to do was to honor a guy who had done so much for the franchise.  They greeted him warmly and then they turned their attention to rooting for their team to win.  Their are hundreds of other examples.  A former player returns home and he's honored with warm applause.  Only in Green Bay do they not get it.

And I know all about your excuses.  "He disrespected the fans...."  One comment from Favre that was made while he was in the midst of being sent packing by the team he made relevant.  But dwelling on that comment ignores the incredibly classy way that he has handled himself in every other instance, including after both games.  Green Bay was lucky to have this guy.  The franchise screwed up when they let him go.  Admit it.  Do you really think the Packers would have been worse over the last few seasons had they kept him around?  I don't think so.

You can try to blame it on my ignorance as many times as you like, but I'm afraid it is you, Mr. B. along with your fellow cheeseheads that don't get it.  Green Bay Packers fans suck.  Period.

Nuff said.

Back to baseball.

TOeFuKi