[USML Announce] Prize Money

Blocker, Mark B. mblocker at Sidley.com
Thu Oct 8 12:01:35 EDT 2009

Jeff:

  Here is a response to your questions.  I take the following as facts:

1.  After toying with them for several years, Brett told the Packers in 2008 he was retiring.

2.  Even though he was retiring, the Packers understood full well that he could still play.  He had just come off an excellent year, save his last pass.

3.  When Favre decided several months later he was coming back, the Packers agonized about what to do, but decided to go with A-Rod because they thought he was the better solution long term, not just in 2008.  If they let Favre start in 2008, they risked losing both Favre and A Rod after 2008, leaving them without a QB.  The Pack also risked having Favre re-retire in 2008, meaning they were really screwed.

4.  Even though largely (if not fully) to blame for creating this situation, Favre decided he wanted to "stick it to the Packers" and has bad-mouthed the organization.

  Because of item 4, he is no longer a fan favorite.  That is why no GB fan should own a Favre jersey.  That is why he will be booed at Lambeau.   If all he cared about was playing, he would have stayed with the Jets, but because of item 4, he orchestrated his departure to a team that plays the Pack.

  Years from now, there will be a reconciliation, and he will be honored at Lambeau, and cheered wildly.  But that time is not now.  Ask yourself how you would have felt if Walter Payton had done the same thing to the Bears, and then you will know how Packer Nation feels.

  -- Mark B.

________________________________

	From: announce-bounces at usml.net [mailto:announce-bounces at usml.net] On Behalf Of jhwinick at aol.com
	Sent: Thursday, October 08, 2009 11:25 AM
	To: announce at usml.net
	Subject: Re: [USML Announce] Prize Money

	And what is Aaron Rodger's record as a pro?  Guess part of the problem is the team that he's playing for, so perhaps he doesn't belong in this discussion.

	Seeing how all true Packers fans are doing silly things like burning their old Favre jerseys and travelling to Green Bay to boo the legend that is Brett Favre, I presume he'll have to at least consider going into the hall wearing something other than a Packer uniform.  It sounds to me like thats what you guys really want anyway.

	And help me out here, because this is where I get confused.  Is Brett Favre, a player who clearly has plenty of football left in him, really a bad guy for wanting to do something other than holding a clipboard for an unproven rookie?  Is he really to blame for wanting to be the starting quarterback for the team that he carried on his back for so many years?  Is he really deserving of boos for leaving to go to another club that was eager to take advantage of his talents?

	Funny way to treat the guy who has been the only reason to watch the Packers for so many years.