[USML Announce] Throwing In The Towel

Doug Shabelman Doug.Shabelman at burnsent.com
Fri Jul 30 12:54:54 EDT 2010

JERUSALEM -- Amare Stoudemire
<http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=1727> , who
recently signed a nine-figure free-agent contract with the New York
Knicks <http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=nyk> , says he has
come to Israel to explore whether he has Jewish heritage.

Stoudemire told The Associated Press on Friday that he believes he has
"Hebrew roots" through his mother, Carrie.

The five-time All-Star is on a weeklong visit to learn about Israel, its
language and religions.

Stoudemire's Twitter page features such Hebrew words as "Shalom,"
"Le'chayim" and "ze ha'halom sheli," Hebrew for "this is my dream."

The 6-foot-10 forward signed a five-year, $100 million contract with the
Knicks three weeks ago. He spent his first eight NBA seasons with the
Phoenix Suns <http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=pho> .