[USML Announce] Colon Weighs Heavy On Calamari

Brad Jansen bljansen at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 18:15:28 EDT 2011

ITEM: Phil Hughes and his floundering fastball have been placed on the
disabled list. "We just feel like he's going through a dead arm
period," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. "We don't feel that he's
hurt." Hughes is 0-1 with a 13.94 ERA through three starts this
season. He was pulled with one out in the fifth inning on Thursday
against the Orioles after allowing five runs on seven hits in the
Yankees' 6-5 win in 10 innings.
Bartolo Colon will take Hughes' spot in the rotation.

WINNER: Second-place Lake Michigan Calamari can add this Bronx
heavyweight to their starting rotation and put a dent in Klein-Nine's
lead.  Only question is whether Nathan's healthy enough to hold closer
job; if not, the Squid could get winicked.*  But for now, the trend is
GUARDEDLY OPTIMISTIC.

LOSER: Bombers strike out on Hughes as well as Yankees' decsion that
Colon's experience as starter outweighs Joba Chamberlain's talent.
The question is when, not if, Pabelbon and Cano end up on the
Berliners' roster---Jeff, is that your Trout or are just happy to see
me?  Bombers trend toward MURKY WATERS.....

definition of winick (win'-ick): transitive verb (a) to mistreat or
exploit; (b) to play 5x5 fantasy baseball without a closer; (c)
usually vulgar: to copulate with.