[USML Announce] (BSP) Yankees’ Rodriguez Has Torn Knee Cartilage, Surgery Is Possible

JOHN FRUIT, NUVEEN ASSET MGMT jfruit1 at bloomberg.net
Sat Jul 9 17:19:57 EDT 2011

Material based on data from sources deemed reliable; accuracy/completeness not guaranteed. Not for use as a primary basis of investment decisions; not to be construed to meet needs of any investor. Not a representation or solicitation of an offer to sell/buy any security. Securities may not be eligible for solicitation in all states. Opinions subject to change. Past performance does not guarantee future results.

Yankees’ Rodriguez Has Torn Knee Cartilage, Surgery Is Possible
2011-07-09 16:14:50.964 GMT

By Bob Bensch
     July 9 (Bloomberg) -- New York Yankees third baseman Alex
Rodriguez has torn cartilage in his right knee and has to decide
whether to undergo surgery.
     Rodriguez had an MRI exam yesterday which revealed a slight
meniscus tear, Yankees manager Joe Girardi said on the Major
League Baseball team’s website. He’d likely miss a month if he
has surgery now or he could wait until the end of the season,
according to Girardi.
     “I’m going to talk to Alex and see how he feels and what
he thinks and them form my opinion on it,” Girardi said. “I
don’t want to influence his decision. That’s only something that
he can evaluate, so I want to listen to him and then discuss it
with him.”
     The Yankees announced yesterday that Rodriguez and
shortstop Derek Jeter wouldn’t play in the July 12 All-Star
game, without giving a reason. Both were chosen to start for the
American League by the fans.

For Related News and Information:
Top Sports Stories:ISPO<GO>USPO<GO>

To contact the editor responsible for this story:
Bob Bensch at +44-20-7330-7947 or
bbensch at bloomberg.net