[USML Announce] Choice is the Choice

Jeffrey Winick jhwinick at aol.com
Mon Jul 18 11:32:19 EDT 2011

Just in case you missed it.  Last week and this week's Baseball America
Prospect Hot Sheet includes the following:

July 8th

No. 1   MICHAEL CHOICE, LF
ATHLETICS

Michael Choice Team: High Class A Stockton (California)
Age: 21
Why He's Here: .448/.500/1.069 (13-for-29), 5 HR, 3 2B, 14 RBIs, 6 R, 3
BB, 6 SO, 1-for-2 SB
The Scoop: The A's have been waiting for a power bat to come along to
help out their outstanding pitching staff. While we shouldn't give up
on Chris Carter and Michael Taylor yet, neither has produced at the
major league level, leaving Choice as the next hope for filling that
void.

Choice has worked to cut down on the moving parts in his swing that he
had in college. The results have been positive, as his average has
climbed 36 points in the last month, from .237 on June 8 to .273. One
thing that's always been there is Choice's plus power. If you go back
to his pro debut last year, he has 29 homers in 110 professional games,
including 22 this year. Choice took it to another level this week,
homering in five consecutive games to move into a tie for the Cal
League lead. Granted, the last three came at the launching pad that is
High Desert, but it's clear by now that Choice's power is no fluke.

July 15th

No. 7   MICHAEL CHOICE, LF
ATHLETICS
Team: high Class A Stockton (California)
Age: 21
Why He's Here: .400/.423/.640 (10-for-25), 2 HR, 3 RBIs, 3 R, 1 BB, 7 SO
The Scoop: Choice returns to the Hot Sheet after a No. 1 ranking last
week, when he belted homers in five straight games. He didn't match
those numbers this week (who could?), but he extended his lead in the
Cal League home run race with two more long balls, giving him 24 on the
season. He hasn't just been cranking homers lately either, as Choice is
also riding a 13-game hitting streak. He's batting .390/.457/.732 in 82
at-bats in the second half of the season.

Never fear Brad Lee.  I'll have plenty of prospects to follow during
the rest of this miserable year.  And keep an eye on this guy.  I think
he'd look great in a RipTorn uniform next year.