[USML Announce] Rips Set Their Sale For Closer Job

Brad Jansen bljansen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 13:12:34 EST 2011

from espn.....

Thornton deal doesn't end battle at closer
March, 6, 2011 Mar 61:52PM CTEmail Print Comments By Doug
PadillaGLENDALE, Ariz. -- Just because Matt Thornton signed a
two-year, $12 million extension on Sunday that could grow to $18
million if the White Sox activate his option year, it doesn?t mean the
closer battle has been decided.

Thornton is the favorite to eventually land the role full time, but
guys like Chris Sale, Sergio Santos and Jesse Crain remain in the mix.

[+] EnlargeAP Photo/Morry Gash
Matt Thornton and the White Sox agreed to a two-year, $12 million
contract extension on Sunday.?No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no,?
pitching coach Don Cooper said when asked if a decision at closer had
been made. ?We?re still trying to work on what we need to get right
with each guy. I don?t believe that?s going to be talked about at
least until our next meeting and I don?t even know when that?s
scheduled.

BLJ sez: Jeffrey, if Matt were gonna be annointed closer, they'd have
said so.  You still have a day to dump him--you can thank me for the
good advice.....