[USML Announce] Jason's Hand Jobs Hapless Bombers

Brad Jansen bljansen at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 18:07:13 EDT 2011

ITEM:

Indians' Jason Donald has broken hand
Associated Press
GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- Third baseman Jason Donald will not be ready to
open the season for the Cleveland Indians because of a hand injury.

Indians trainer Lonnie Soloff said Saturday that Donald has a small
crack in the base of the long finger on his left hand. Donald was hit
by a fastball from Gavin Floyd of the Chicago White Sox on March 5.

"It is disappointing, but I'm already looking down the road, preparing
to play," Donald said. "Getting hit is part of the game. It could have
been a lot worse. I could have needed surgery and been out a lot
longer."

Donald will not participate in baseball activities for seven days,
then start a return-to-hit program.

LOSER: Bombers, first for retaining the light-hitting utility
infielder in the first place, now for watching him languish on DL, as
team's fortunes fall faster than Libya's anti-aircraft missiles. Trend
continues DOWN.

WINNER: Riptorns, and not just because Jayson Nix will get some
well-deserved ABs, but especially because the Tribe's decision to even
consider Donald as 3B starter means Lonnie Chisenhall ($10-Riptorn
wunderkind)  will soon man the hot corner.  Rips' long-term fortunes
trend UP.