[USML Announce] Don't Tell Buddha ........

springkerb at aol.com springkerb at aol.com
Thu Sep 1 22:44:33 EDT 2011

Thanks, Rick.  I didn't mean to downplay her performance.  Jazzy did in fact take two national junior event titles (out of four).  But we were shooting for the all-around title, too.  And, with two events to go (out of eight--four events times two rounds) we had the lead.  In the end, 'Becca beat us fair and square for the all-around, so no shame in that.

On a more personal note, it was a great family event.  As you know, I'm from northern Iowa, so it was a short trip for my family.  My dad, step-mom and all three siblings were there (along with several of their kids).  And Karen's mom drove all the way from Pennsylvania.  We got them all up to speed on the basics of rhythmic gymnastics.

Then, on Saturday night, we went to watch the women's finals in artistic gymnastics ("real" gymnastics in the U.S.).  While Jazzy and I were finding our seats, a little girl ran up to us and said, "Jazzy, we have an extra seat.  Would you come sit with us?"  It turns out the girl was from one of the other Chicago area gymnastics clubs--hers does both rhythmic and artistic gymnastics--and they had come to watch a couple of their girls (both on national team in artistic) compete.  So Jazzy went to sit with them, which I think was a highlight for both Jazzy and her little fan.