[USML Announce] Winick Must Take Matusz Into His Own Hands

Brad Jansen bljansen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 16:18:47 EDT 2011

ITEM:
NEW YORK -- Brian
Matusz<http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/_/id/29938/brian-matusz>is out of
Baltimore's rotation for the foreseeable future.Matusz's
disappointing season took another downward turn Tuesday when Orioles manager
Buck Showalter said there were no immediate plans to give the left-hander
another start.Matusz, once among baseball's brightest prospects, was knocked
around by the New York
Yankees<http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/_/name/nyy/new-york-yankees>on
Monday, getting a no-decision in a game the Orioles eventually lost
11-10.  "I don't think Brian is at a point where he can defend himself,"
Showalter said.Matusz's latest beatdown left him at 1-7 with a 9.84 ERA in
10 starts this year. The 24-year-old has allowed 68 hits, including 15 home
runs, and walked 19 in 43 innings. He had lost his previous seven starts.

LOSER: None.

WINNER: The entire USML will have an opportunity to see Berliners helmsman
Jeffrey Horatio Yourownhornblower Winick as he demonstrates his genius
navigating around the $7 sunk cost of Brian Matusz. "When I land hot
prospects like Montero and Trout and Hosmer, I can afford a few duds,"
snorted the wily Winick. "Me starting down $7 next year gives the rest of
you fair footing....I'll accept that handicap and I'll kick some ass while
I'm at it.  Now, which channel is broadcasting the Republican debates?
Buddha's coming over and I need to get ready!!"