[USML Announce] USML Week In Review: Sign of the

Jeffrey Winick jwinick at harriswinick.com
Mon Aug 13 15:24:33 EDT 2012

I'm not down on the guy.  I just don't think anyone in their right mind trades a guy like Adrian Gonzalez to get him.

Okay - well maybe I am down on the guy.  Where would you like me to start?

Had you traded Two Eggs when he was in AA, I might have understood the excitement.  He was looking pretty good.  But he hasn't looked so good since being moved up to AAA.  He's put up a 3.17 ERA and a 1.48 Whip over 82 innings.  He's walking almost 3.5 guys a game.  He's giving up a lot of home runs (10 already) and his strikeouts are down.  Brett Saberhagen, he's not.

But the best reason that I'm down on him is that pitching prospects rarely warrant excitement.  Name me the last highly touted pitcher that actually went out and produced in his first few years.  Funny you should mention King Felix.  He's one of the poster children for highly touted young pitchers that needed a few years to develop.  As great as he is, ask Rich whether he'd have been better off trading him rather than keeping him.  He had much more value as a bean.  Surely, you have to agree the same is true of young Jake.

My guess is that if Andy hadn't just popped a Demerol the deal never gets done.  Just sayin....