[USML Announce] 2012 Draft Day Self-Analysis: Riptorns

Richard Robbins rerobbins at itinker.net
Mon Mar 12 21:50:33 EDT 2012

My money is on you for rookie of the year.

On Monday, March 12, 2012, Dennis Adams <dadams17 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm here to learn from the seasoned vets, absorb all the wisdom I can,
and then begin my march towards a championship in a year or so.

> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 8:20 PM, Andrew Klein <anrklein at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Sabathiato, Sabathia ... what's the difference.  And Blocker only looked
unphased because he was squinting at the draft software that apparently
told him to buy Trumbo for $11.

>> -Andy
>>
>> On 3/12/12 6:19 PM, Jeffrey Winick wrote:
>>>
>>> Some questions/comments:
>>>
>>> 1.  Who is this Sabathiato guy?
>>> 2.  I was listening carefully and didn't hear a single Wieters comment.
In fact, Blocker looked utterly unphased through the draft.
>>> 3.  Carl Crawford will likely be worth his $30 salary this year.  More
importantly, he will be one of the better keepers for 2013.  You can thank
me later.

>>> Jeff

Trade.
>>> *After dealing Sabathiato to Winick, spend less money on my entire
pitching staff than CC's salary.
>>> *Get outfielders who are likely to play every day.
>>> *Limit myself to two cups of coffee so as not to spend half the draft
in pain because I had to take a piss.

>>> WHAT WENT RIGHT
>>>
>>> *Succeeded in annoying Blocker and bidding up enough of his guys to
ensure that the Bombers won't compete in 2012.
>>> *Sabathia's salary $34.  Klein Nine pitching staff $32.  Check.
>>> *Got every day outfielders.
>>> *Limited coffee intake to two cups.
>>>
>>> WHAT WENT WRONG
>>>
>>> *In bidding up Blocker, I got stuck with some bums myself.  (Seth Smith
at $12?)
>>> *Used the biggest coffee mug in Winick's office, so two cups of coffee
felt like five.
>>> *Ended up buying Carl Crawford when I had no intention of doing so.
 Crawford was a "Winick Pick," and the magazine said to bid with confidence
up to $30.  I was blithely moving things along, and then everyone else just
stopped.

>>> -Andy
>>>

>>> On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 10:04 PM, Brad Jansen <bljansen at gmail.com>
wrote:
>>> Great to see everyone. Dennis, welcome my friend to the show that never
ends. Jim B, congrats and all the best to your wife and you. And to
everybody else, it was great to see everyone looking so moderately healthy.

>>> Now, let me propose something. This proposal certainly is not intended
to displace Jeffrey's typically self-serving analysis of the draft, but I
ask each team to consider posting its own critical and objective analysis
of its draft day performance.

>>> I will begin:
>>>
>>> DRAFT DAY STRATEGY:
>>>   * Avoid drafting Shoppach and Cervelli again.
>>>   * Corner the market on SB by getting one more impact SB guy.
>>>   * Draft decent SP for under $20.
>>>   * Draft one reasonably priced thumper.
>>>   * Pick up enough sleepers and keepers via auction and rotation draft
to shop to Winick when his team crashes and burns in June.