[USML Announce] USML - missing players - Villanueva

springkerb at aol.com springkerb at aol.com
Mon Mar 12 23:07:02 EDT 2012

True story re Hector V--

Soon after the Cubs brought him up, I was at a game with a woman I had recently started seeing.  Late in a close game, the Cubs put him in to replace the starter (probably Berryhill).  It was either a tie game or the Cubs were down a run with a runner on.  So, trying to impress my date with my baseball knowledge, I opined that Hector had shown big power at Iowa and was a candidate to hit one out.  Ka-boom!  Right past us (we were sitting down the third base line) and into the left field bleachers.  Cubs win!  I'm pretty sure it was his first major league homer.  After that, he was always sort of a favorite of mine despite the fact that he was a truly lousy defensive catcher.