[USML Announce] It Just Keeps Getting Better

Jeffrey Winick jhwinick at aol.com
Thu Mar 22 15:17:52 EDT 2012

In his column today, ESPN's Kevin Goldstein highlighted those prospects
that were making noise in Spring Training.  Not surprisingly, two
Berliner beans stood out:

Cheslor Cuthbert, 3B, Kansas City Royals
Cuthbert was one of the talks of the low-Class A Midwest League during
the first half of the 2011 season, where he showed the ability to hit
for average and power as an 18-year-old. But he finished the year in a
brutal slump, going 13-for-96 after July. While the Royals' minor
league camp is one of the most talented in baseball, Cuthbert has stood
out not only for his performances but also for his improved physical
conditioning.

"He'll never be a physical specimen," said one National League scout of
the 19-year-old Nicaraguan who's listed at 6-foot-1 and 190 pounds.
"But he's clearly both trimmer and bigger, if that makes sense, and
that shows me some lessons were learned in the offseason about
commitment."

Francisco Lindor, SS, Cleveland Indians
The eighth overall pick in last year's draft, Lindor was the talk of
the instructional leagues in Arizona last fall, and this spring, he's
been generating the same type of buzz with his performances so far in
minor league camp.

"I heard all of the rumors about how Seattle almost took him with the
second pick in the draft," said an American League scout. "Now I
understand why. What a player. He can do it all and he could come very
quickly. There's a quiet confidence in his game that goes with all five
tools and that's a rare combination."

WINNER:  In the short term, the Berliners, who have once again
demonstrated their skill at identifying the best of the beans.  In the
longer term, the lucky team that is able to talk the Berliners out of
these gems.

LOSER:  Everyone playing for the Damon in 2012 that isn't named Jeff.