[USML Announce] Under The Radar

springkerb at aol.com springkerb at aol.com
Wed Sep 19 16:56:52 EDT 2012

I said something to the effect that most $15 prospects are worthless, and I'll stick to that.  How many Mike Trouts are out there?  How many rookies that played this year, other than Trout, had any positive value at all (in excess of salary)?  Every year, there are five or six guys who are billed as the "next Mike Trout" (or Griffey or whatever), and one of them pans out about once every five years.  Most of the other ones end up looking more like Delmon Young (who was once touted as a Trout type) at best. Anyway, I would guess Trout has produced maybe $40-45 at a salary of $15, so he's a plus-$25-30.  Soriano and Rodney are somewhere in that same neighborhood, although probably a little less valuable--salaries of $4-5 and value of about $25-30, so also plus about $20-25.  Give or take.  They are all nice to have.

I will say this, though--if you ever get your hands on a "real" Mike Trout, don't let him go unless you're virtually a lock to win a title.  But I probably don't have to tell you that.

Who are the other cheap guys in the USML who produced big numbers?