[USML Announce] Myers' Balls Jumpin', Rips' Heart's A-Pumpin'

Brad Jansen bljansen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 16:38:15 EST 2013

*ITEM*

>From mlb.com:

The first impression of Myers around camp was that he is a man of few
words. Of his first day, he said simply: "I had some nerves when I first
stepped in. I just wanted to take a couple of good swings just to relax a
little bit. But I think it went well.

Derek Shelton watched the session, and the Rays hitting coach spoke
glowingly of the coveted prospect.

"The thing that's the most impressive is the bat speed," Shelton said. "The
way the ball comes off his bat. You can see it not only when he's hitting
on the field, but when he's hitting off a tee. You don't see very many
people who generate that kind of bat speed. First day, yeah, it's exciting
to see."

Shelton noted that the sound of the ball coming off Myers' bat is unique,
adding to the budding mythology of Phenom Myers.

"It's a different sound," Shelton said. "You see that when you see the bat
speed or the torque he creates. It's loud. You don't hear many guys that
can create that sound."

Where does Myers' bat speed rank with some of the guys on the team right
now?

"It's near the top," Shelton said.

*LOSER*

Berliners. Stunning decision to send power-hitting phenom Wil Myers to
Riptorns for rent-a-player Jennings may rank second only to the Trout Trade
Folly as pretrial preparation distractions erode Winick's fantasy baseball
mojo.

*WINNER*

Riptorns.  With the ball-shredding power machine Wil Myers on reserve list,
Rips ready to explode on March 17 with plenty of draft day cash to burn and
a Damon trophy to earn.