[USML Announce] Just Saying....

Blocker, Mark B. mblocker at Sidley.com
Tue Jul 9 18:21:09 EDT 2013

Doesn't KC already have an excellent young closer?

From: announce-bounces at usml.net [mailto:announce-bounces at usml.net] On Behalf Of Richard Robbins
Sent: Tuesday, July 09, 2013 5:15 PM
To: USML Announcements
Subject: Re: [USML Announce] Just Saying....

Thanks pal.

On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 5:12 PM, Jeffrey Winick <jwinick at harriswinick.com<mailto:jwinick at harriswinick.com>> wrote:
Glad you asked Rich.  He was next up on my list.

Let's look at the stats.  They never lie.
YEAR

AGE

CLUB

LG

CLASS

ERA

GS

CG

SV

IP

ER

HR

BB

SO

BB/9

SO/9

WHIP

G/F

2013

22

Omaha<http://www.baseballamerica.com/statistics/teams/?tm_id=3154&y=2013>

PCL<http://www.baseballamerica.com/statistics/leagues/?lg_id=6&y=2013>

AAA<http://www.baseballamerica.com/statistics/classifications/?cl_id=2&y=2013>

2

3

4.93

7

6

0

0

34.2

34

22

19

2

17

36

4.41

9.35

1.47

1.42

MINOR LEAGUE TOTALS

17

22

3.55

87

73

0

3

373.0

333

175

147

24

126

410

3.04

9.89

1.23

1.50

As you can see, even with the most recent outing, his numbers at AAA aren't exactly awe inspiring.  The key numbers are ERA:  4.93, WHIP:  1.47 and that atrocious BB/9 ratio of 4.41.  And his minor league totals indicate that his AAA performance isn't an anomaly.  Over 373 innings he's given strong reason to be concerned about the control because it's been a problem for his entire minor league career.  But the 9.89 SO/9 is pretty damned impressive and suggests that this guy has closer potential.

I'd say he's a guy that you could throw into a deal, but definitely not a big time bean, even at $5.

Jeff