[USML Announce] Beware Mark Kerber!!

Jeffrey Winick jhwinick at aol.com
Wed Jul 10 13:22:02 EDT 2013

But for a slight miscalculation on Eric Hosmer (which apparently only Rick Gammons was wise enough to foretell - and yes, there should be lots of apologetic emails to Rick for the criticism he had to endure), Mr. K has been simply brilliant this year.  One great trade after another.  Consider what's he's managed to accomplish:

He turns Chris Carter (now rumored to be on the trading block) for the $1 Nate McLouth
He turns CC Sabathia (and his obviously fading stuff) into Eric Hosmer and Chris Tillman; and
He turns Valverde (once again a complete bum) into a $2 Chris Parmelee, top bean George Springer and Japaneses wunderkind Masahiro Tanaka.

But his greatest masterpiece has to have been turning perhaps the single greatest disappointment in the American League in 2013 into one of the leading candidates for the Cy Young award, the $5 Yu Darvish.  Here's what Buster Olney just reported on Mr. Verlander:

• Justin Verlander got hit around late in his start Tuesday, pushing his ERA to 3.71.
Some opponents see a major difference in his raw stuff. "Not even close," said one hitter. "He’s trying to trick you now. He didn’t have to do that before."
The White Sox racked up 23 hits -- six of them by Alex Rios.
>From ESPN Stats & Information: For the fourth time this season, Verlander allowed five or more earned runs. That is one shy of his total from the previous two seasons combined.

Fair warning - he's a sneaky one that Mr. Kerber.  And he clearly knows what he's doing.  Of course, I say that with great admiration.